November 13, 2010

Watch, Wait, and Keep On Walking...

The last several months I've spent countless hours sorting through some serious issues in my life. You know, those tough relational things that seem to have no answers no matter how hard we try - circumstances beyond our control. I've spent a tremendous amount of time praying, too. I've asked several times 'What do I do next?' The answer has repeatedly been 'Watch, wait, and keep on walking'. So, that's what I've done. Yeah, it sounds so easy, doesn't it?

I have to admit that waiting hasn't exactly been something I'm all that skilled at... in fact, I've been horrible at it. Jumping ahead without thinking things through all the ramifications has been my modus operandi. Oh, you, too? So glad I'm not alone!

I've had to really learn to clear my mind of all distractions and my own agenda to hear my Master speak. That is tough, let me tell you! Daily, I struggle with doubts, deep sadness, stormy emotions, no emotions (stuffing them, you know), choices I've made - did I do the right thing, was my timing way off? Did I hear right?

Okay, so once my mind is quiet enough to hear the Master, do I? That's a resounding yes! I am learning to really know my Master's voice - there's no denying it. We're supposed to be able to hear Him after all. So, what does He say? First, He does give me clear direction and the wisdom I've been seeking. Man, when you ask for wisdom, hang on to your hat! It opens your eyes to what's really going on around you. Then, He's also gigged me on total surrender and trust. Wow - that's serious stuff! Have I been lacking so much? Apparently. Yes, I have to say yes...

So, slogging through my not-so-concrete thoughts, what am I taking away?

Maturity
Strength to stand for righteousness
Surrender to whatever the Master asks of me
Trust that He really does have things well in hand
Unconditional love and forgiveness
Stronger faith
Deeper, closer relationship with my Master
Stronger, deeper friendships
Repentance for lack of trust
What it means to truly serve
How to bear anothers' burdens
When to say 'enough' and move on
How to identify what I've been internalizing and letting it out
Letting go of my expectations and pre-conceived ideas
Deep gratitude
The value of reflection and meditation

I have to say, no one really wants to go through what it takes to gain all that - trust me, it's beyond tough. Now, it sounds like I've got it all down, and it's a done deal. Not true. I don't think we're ever really finished learning these kinds of things, but we're given opportunity to practice them again and again... and again... and again. You get the idea. And, they are all things I did not earn, but are precious gifts from my L-rd and Master.


"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.”


"...so that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belongs the glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen."

4 comments:

Liz Henderson (Hendel D'bu) said...

I'm honored to walk through this journey with you, my dear, dear friend. I love you so much.

I'll be coming back to re-read this again - so well done. :-)

Mama Cache said...

"My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me." ~ a familiar Voice

Beautiful post, Lisa. Thanks for letting us inside . . . love you.

Stacy Christian said...

A very good reminder, this. Thank you!
Sometimes I feel like I'm doing a lot of walking without getting anywhere. :/

Jedi-J said...

Rather deep padawan. On the way to Masterhood you are!

Viewing a Little of My World...

Attaining the rank of Jedi...

*Jedi respect each other, and all other life forms.

*Jedi must put the needs of the community
above the needs of individuals.

*A Jedi must protect the weak and defenseless from evil.

*Jedi must always cooperate in battle or crisis.

*Jedi must not have wants; self-reliance must be shown.

*Jedi are forbidden from ruling others.

*A Jedi does not cling to the past.