December 5, 2011

A Padawan's Belated Review


Last night I had the pleasure of watching 'The King's Speech' with my hubby (yes, I know it's been out for a long time now).  I 've been taking advantage of his Blockbuster bonus thingy to watch some things I had heard rave reviews about.  First, it was 'Lincoln Lawyer'.  Can't say that was really worth the watch, hence no review (yes, that was a random thought).

However, 'The King's Speech' is another matter!  Based on the life of  King George VI of England, it tells the story of his struggle with a speech impediment throughout and his rise to the monarchy just prior to the start of World War II.   The story line is so well orchestrated, the acting superb - I could feel the intense pain as Duke tried to get his words out - his young daughters' patience at his story telling,  the common people turning away in embarrassment when he was required to speak, the pressure increasing as world events culminated in the horrific world war, his brother abdicating forcing him into a terrifying position.  So many actors I recognize and enjoy, too:

Colin Firth (Mr. Darcy of Pride & Prejudice)
Geoffrey Rush (Captain Barbosa of 'Pirates')
Helena Bonham Carter (Terminator Salvation)
Derek Jacobi (Cadfael)
Guy Pearce (the villian in The Count of Monte Cristo)
Timothy Spall (in Nicholas Nicklby and The Last Samurai)
Jennifer Ehle (Elizabeth Bennett of Pride & Prejudice)

This one strikes a chord with me, not only because I enjoy the historical dramas but also because my own son has the same impediment.  Thought provoking it was for me...  So, I highly recommend this one if you haven't already seen it!

1 comment:

Liz Henderson (Hendel D'bu) said...

Think I may need to view this one at some point...sounds really good :-)

Viewing a Little of My World...

Attaining the rank of Jedi...

*Jedi respect each other, and all other life forms.

*Jedi must put the needs of the community
above the needs of individuals.

*A Jedi must protect the weak and defenseless from evil.

*Jedi must always cooperate in battle or crisis.

*Jedi must not have wants; self-reliance must be shown.

*Jedi are forbidden from ruling others.

*A Jedi does not cling to the past.